Thursday, August 03, 2006

Why I love South-Africa

As you know I have had some problems with my passport and that I’ve been waiting for it for 5 months. That’s right I said 5 …

So 1 month ago I emailed them and got this reply



From: Civic Services: Home Affairs Consulate
( Tel: (020) 7925 8904, Fax: (020) 7925 8930 - 32)
[mailto:rsaconsulate@btconnect.com]
Sent: 05 July 2006 05:05
To: Rolf Wessels
Subject: RE: Query about my passport

Passport not arrived yet. Notification will be posted to
you when passport has been received.

Regards



Nice email hey .. no where is you passport ... or we are sorry ... or Kind regards Sipo Mklenowhere or nothing.

So I waited patiently for a month but no notification. So today I emailed them again. To my surprise I got an email back on the same day saying



From: Home Affairs London [mailto:rsaconsulate@btconnect.com]
Sent: 03 August 2006 10:05
To: Rolf Wessels
Subject: PASSPORT
Importance: High

Please, be informed your passport has been issued and it was sent to our office on June 14, 06. Due to a recent computer glitch we have, we cannot be able to confirm that we have received it. As soon as our computers are working we will confirm its presence in the office and then ask you to come and collect. If you will be sending someone, please, give that person a written authorization to that effect.



Civic Services
SA High Commission



So basically they have had my passport since f***ing (Jammer dat ek so floek dad) June and because their computer is not working they haven’t been able to find my passport for almost 2 months and I still have to wait for my passport. This meaning I haven’t been able to leave the UK for 2 months just because they can’t find my passport which IS IN THEIR OFFICE.

Psss … how big must that office be. (WTF)

Anyway just wanted to share this great example of South-African efficiency with friends and family.

3 Comments:

At 7:55 PM , Blogger saintwillem said...

hi, yep...gelukkig het ek 'n paspoort...ek gat holland toe vir 3 maande van oktober af...dalk sien ek julle? ek hoop so.

ek kan foto's gaan neem van hoe groot die office is as jy wil?

 
At 2:46 PM , Blogger Jaco said...

Hey - Waneer update jy nou & vertel weer vir almal hoe ek jou gehelp het - ek dink ek het die week al 3 keer gaan update - gaan loer - ek weet jy fokkin' werk nie!!!

Liefde Gielie Brielie

 
At 10:53 AM , Blogger Jeanne said...

Here's a quick tip for everyone in the same situation (i.e. living in England and needing a new passport - of course, this tip only works for those of you renewing a passport, not if yours is lost/stolen/expired already).

My passport expires in March next year and I was dreading sending it to SA House over here and never seeing it again, being stuck here passportless forever etc etc. So this April when I was home for a visit, I strolled down to Home Affairs in my hometown, applied for a new passport as mine was within a year of expiry. No questions asked, no requirement to hand in my old one, no questions abotu whether or not I have acquired foreign citizenship - just a form, 2 photos and some SA Ront. About 2 months later, my brother fetched it for me from the same office. No stress, no fuss. If you go home regularly and have family or friends there whose address you can use and who can collect the passport for you, this is by far the least stressful way of renewing your passport!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home